OSHA fines increase August 1st.
On June 30, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) released an interim new rule increasing fines to keep up with inflation. This includes fines issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). OSHA will increase maximum penalties by 78% to make up for decades without change.
In SWANA's ongoing campaign to promote safety in the solid waste industry, please note the 5 to Stay Alive: Safety Tips below. Please see the link at the bottom of this email for materials you can download and distribute in your organization. Also check out the https://swana.org/safety link for more safety information. Thanks, and be safe!
5 to Stay Alive: Safety Tips
Solid waste collection is the 5th most dangerous job in the United States.
1. Always wear PPE, especially high visibility vests and/or outerwear
2. Never use your cell phone while driving the truck or at a disposal facility
3. Don’t ride on the step if the truck is BACKING or going more than 10mph
or 1/5th mile
4. Always comply with safety belt rules
5. Don’t exceed the speed limit and don’t rush
Following these rules will help keep you safe!
SWANA wants you to go home to your family every day, safely. In addition to these five important rules, be sure to follow local and federal pre- and post-trip inspection protocols EVERY TIME.
Body of Compton Garbage Truck Driver Identified.....read more.